Sunday, August 5, 2007

Chancellor - the stretched Waja




THIS will be short.

Proton says they engineered the chassis, hence I cannot say they chop it off and add a foot of metal in the
middle to turn it into this car.

Fine with that. But it looks like a stretched Waja and with that ridiculous pricing, I think nobody, except GLC and government agencies will be buying it.


I mean from a marketing point of view, this car does not make any sense at all. If I drive the Waja, I am
expected to upgrade to the ageing Perdana V6 (which Malaysians still think is a valid executive car, even without airbags).
And so if I am iffy enough to have one Perdana V6, am I supposed to 'upgrade' back to a Chancellor, which looks like my previous car ?

I don't think so.


But if you really must have a stretched Waja that seats only four, then this is the car. You get the V6 2.0L
engine with a 4-speed gearbox, same as the ones
in the Perdana BUT with a tranny oil cooler.


Interior wise, everything is covered with leather
but the stitching job must be improved if Proton
wants this as their flagship car. The test car even
had problems popping out the DVD screen, which
looks VERY aftermarket. When the mat saleh has
the word 'hand-built' in their brochures, they
usually mean artisans, not Ahmad or Ah Chong
or Samy from your local accessory shops.

Handling wise, it is quite stiff and corners as well as the shorter Waja. Good, but since when you want a
chauffer to drive you as if he is racing with the car on the next lane?

As you can see, there is hardly a Chancellor on the road, which explains why I can safely say that this car is a
waste of time.

By Hazman Hamzah


Specifications
Make and model: Proton Chancellor
Engine: 2.0L V6 D4 MPI
Max power: 150hp @ 6750rpm
Max torque: 179Nm @ 4000rpm
Transmission: 4-speed auto with Fuzzy Logic
Max speed: 205kmh (claimed)

No comments: